As a member of the community, the safety of the public and the environment is our top priority when it comes to the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of our pipelines.
The following steps are recommended for developing a pipeline emergency preparedness plan for your school. Schools may also contact their State Fire Marshal’s Office, State Emergency Management Agency, and Local Emergency Planning Committee in developing emergency response plans.
- Complete your school’s Emergency Preparedness Plan with information important for First Responders when calling an emergency.
- Identify the name of the pipeline operator, the product transported and the operator’s emergency contact number. This information should all be printed on the pipeline marker near the school.
- Identify the school district contact you would notify in the case of an emergency.
- Identify school personnel to serve as emergency coordinators so that information and directions can be safely disseminated throughout the school population should an emergency occur.
- Make sure evacuation plans are designed to direct students and school personnel away from any pipeline right-of-way near your school.